Sunday, October 17, 2010

October 9, 2010

Today we split up into two groups. Half of the group went to do clean up. When we dropped them off a woman named Robin Vick spoke to us. She was very passionate and told us the importance of getting the coast back together after Katrina. She talked about the children and how they need a place to go in the summer. The museum gives the kids the opportunity to learn about the coast during a summer camp where they also get to have fun with other kids. It was awesome to hear her story and how through grants and support she was able to get the museum together after the storm.
The second group of people went to the Hope Children's Fair. We got there before the children so at first a lot of us were just standing around, but once the children got there it was a lot of fun! It was a little sad because it seemed like a lot of them did not have a lot. Their parents just dropped them off and they were on their own. There was a little girl names Kaitlyn and so was so adorable. I was pushing her on the swing and it made me feel so good to make her laugh. She was talking to me and just making crazy noises; I just loved to see her smile! We also played kickball, football, other multiple carnival games, blew up balloons, and face paintings with the children.
There was also another little girl who made me really happy. I do not no her name because she anytime anyone would try to talk to her she would shy away and become really sad. One point of the day she was crying and it made me feel sad. So she was hiding behind the duck pond and I went over to see her. I didn't want to ask her a question or say something dumb because I saw how she reacted earlier when I tried to talk to her, and I didn't want to scare her away. So I started playing peek-a-boo with her. She liked that and started to smile. Soon after that she was trowing water on me and I was tickling her. We played run around the bush and raced back and forth from the duck pond. It made me so happy to see her happy! It was a great experience!
I felt sad when we had to leave. I could tell they were sad too, and didn't want us to leave. This one little boy gave everyone hugs; it was cute. We got back to the lab school, and ate and had a discussion and looked at pictures from that day. I am so glad that our group is getting closer and we are comfortable talking to each other and discussing. It makes the experience so much more rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment