We are less than forty-eight hours away from departure time! I am getting a little nervous considering I have never been to Mississippi, nor have I participated in this kind of service before. I am really looking forward to meeting people and hearing their stories. Even though we are staying in the United States we are still traveling over 1,000 miles! There is so much to learn on a trip like this. The people who live on the Gulf Coast have suffered so much within the last decade. Considering Hurricane Katrina and now the oil spill, I can not even image how difficult life has been for these people. We always think about going to Africa to fight HIV/AIDs or going to other third world countries to provide clean water and food. These kinds of services are obviously vital in our world, but why is our mind set different when we think about helping people in our own country?
It seems like in America when we learn someone is on welfare or collecting money from the government we automatically assume that the reason for this is because that person is "lazy" or "just not trying hard enough," and these assumptions lead us to believe that we are the superior beings. But when in reality, maybe we need to take a step back and look at who really "isn't trying hard enough." Maybe this person lost loved ones, possessions, and everything in his name because of a hurricane or an oil spill that he had no control over. What makes this person inferior to any other human? I know if this person was me, I would need assistance getting back on my feet. While providing the help I can to the people in the Gulf Coast, I plan to motivate and encourage the people to understand that even though life may be difficult now that does not mean it always will be that way.
I am really excited for this trip. I am not only eager to assist the people in Mississippi, but I am also excited to learn more about my fellow Ship mates. I really do not know what to expect just yet; however, I know that whatever is in store and whatever lessons I do learn, I will benefit from them and be able to use these experiences as stepping stones.
No comments:
Post a Comment